Sunday, August 15, 2010





-Internet Database
-Interview
-Observation


Preparing all the equipments needed for this trip was a challenge. Traveling light is an option but that mean risk leaving an equipment behind and not being able to record the data.

I planned on collecting almost any form of information. This include images, sounds, ambiance, video and raw information from the source itself.Before the trip I already did a research on the Jahai to get a head-start on the lifestyle and the surroundings.I brought along my notebook, camera and sound recorder for the trip to collect all the data needed for the application.

For the visual, I took a bunch of images that shows the life and the physical of Orang Asli Jahai. This was a challenge as these people were very shy and were not comfortable being photographed. Some of them even ran away and refused to be photographed or interviewed. Even when I offered them some sweets and tobacco they were still hesitant to take the offer. I was very much interested in their physical appearance. So, I aim to document as much as possible the people of the Jahai tribe.


Besides having the visual, I needed the story behind the subject. I tried to talk to each one that I photographed and get a story behind their lives. The language was a slight barriers but the real challenge was making them understand what information I wanted them to give me. Their shy characteristic once again only allow me to get a few good story. I believe that in order to get the best visual of the subject, I first need to know them well enough. However with the limited amount of time it was a big challenge.


I managed to record few footages of the village surrounding. At first I was planning on taking a 360 View of the village but fail to do so as there were too many of us to make a clean shots of the village. As a back up data, I recorded the ambiance of the jungle that was just filled with the sound of birds and insects. I recorded the ambiance early in the morning to eliminate any noise from the outside.










Most of these collected data will be crucial for the application. It needed to be edited and recompose before inserting into the application.

No comments:

Post a Comment